- Farm: Las Lajas (Costa Rica)
- Process: Perla Negra Natural
- Varietal: Caturra & Catuai
- Taste Notes: Cooked Berry, Cocoa, Wine
- Blend Details: Costa Rica & Brazil
Taste NotesCooked Berry, Cocoa, Wine
Roast ProfileMedium Roast
OriginSabanilla de Alajuela, Central Valley, Costa Rica & Minas Gerais, Brazil
Varietal100% Arabica Coffee (Catuai)
Elevation1600 - 2100 masl
HOLIDAY BLEND COFFEE: Our Limited Edition Holiday Blend is here again and in limited quantities
ARABICA COFFEE: Our Holiday Blend coffee is made from 100% Arabica coffee beans. Arabica Coffee has twice the flavor and a better aroma than its counterpart (Robusta).
FLAVOR FIRST: We source all our coffee to achieve specific taste notes. Our Holiday Blend tastes of Cooked Berry, Cocoa, Wine, with a smooth finish.
ALWAYS FRESH: The coffee you’re enjoying right now, was only recently harvested from our favorite coffee farms. We also send Amazon small quantities to ensure maximum freshness.
ABOUT THE COFFEE:
When creating our Holiday Blend, we wanted to capture all our favorite memories in one beautiful and enchanting cup. Our source for inspiration for this holiday blend came during a short trip to Munich in 2018. Our grandmother is from Munich and we have been there many times before, but this is the first time we have experienced the holidays in Germany. We were introduced to glühwein (spiced wine beverage served hot) while strolling through the little shop stands in Munich and thought how wonderful these notes would be in a cup of coffee.
Introducing our Holiday Blend; Sweet with tart winey acidity, lots of cooked berries, and a smooth finish. The coffee is from the Las Lajas farm in Costa Rica. Oscar and Francisca Chacón are third-generation coffee producers, but the coffee is more than just in their family heritage: It’s in their hearts and souls as well. The couple is committed to quality and innovation, and are among the very first farmers in Costa Rica to produce Honey and Natural process specialty coffee.
About the Producer: Las Lajas (Costa Rica)
Oscar and Francisca Chacón are third-generation coffee producers, but the coffee is more than just in their family heritage: It's in their hearts and souls as well. The couple is committed to quality and innovation, and are among the very first farmers in Costa Rica to produce Honey and Natural process specialty coffee.
In 2005, after years of delivering their cherry to a cooperative for the going market price, they decided to join the brand-new "micromill revolution" and buy their own depulper to have more control over the quality and the price they received for their lots. "At first, we didn't know what we were doing," Oscar explains. "We were just experimenting." That experimentation led to some of the most exciting new flavor profiles we have ever tasted: Now, the Chacons produce a wide range of Honey process coffees, modulating the drying time in order to create different effects in the cup.
Las Lajas: Processing Techniques
These days, Las Lajas focuses on several variations of both Honey and Natural process:
- Yellow Honey: Coffee is turned hourly on raised beds for a few days, then transferred to a greenhouse and turned regularly.
- Red Honey: Coffee is turned several times a day and dried for longer in the greenhouse.
- Black Honey: Coffee is turned once a day.
- Perla Negra Natural: Coffee dries directly in the sun for 10 days, rotating constantly, and then is transferred to bags and left for 2–3 days before being moved to raised beds.
- Alma Negra: Drying starts in the greenhouse for a few days. Then it is brought to the greenhouse and piled up at night and moved to the raised beds during the sunshine hours.